If you find yourself regularly reaching for over-the-counter pain medication to relieve headaches, you might be looking for alternative ways to treat your headaches or to prevent them from happening in the first place.
There are a few things you can address immediately to see if they help you reduce the suffering associated with chronic headaches including:
- Moving and stretching after each 30-60 minutes spent working (or doing anything consistent). Move your head in a side-to-side and front-to-back position a few times throughout the day.
- Start an exercise routine. Exercise can help with headache relief.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Dehydration is a common cause of headaches, especially during the summer.
- Be conscious of your posture — having bad posture can also be a leading cause of neck and shoulder tension.
- Eliminate processed sugar from your diet. Excess sugar in your diet can cause chronic headaches.
If you’ve tried all of these tips and still haven’t found relief, your best bet might be to see a physical therapist. There may be problems with your neck, spine or hips that may be contributing to your headaches. Often when one part of the body is weak or out of synch, pain shows up in different places and can be confusing to pin point as a patient.
Unlike taking medication, physical therapy techniques are more long-term in nature. Focusing on a holistic approach to treating the whole person, not just the underlying injury may be a new and innovative approach to healing you haven’t yet been exposed to. It is a way of working, our innovative approach at South Orange Rehabilitation and Wellness that we are proud of.
Here are two common types of headaches that can respond well to something other than medication:
- Tension Headaches: Tension headaches are the most common type of headache and are characterized by a dull, aching pain that feels like a tight band around the head. They are often caused by muscle tension in the neck, scalp, and jaw, and can be triggered by stress, poor posture, and overuse of technology.
- Migraines: Migraines are severe headaches that are often accompanied by visual disturbances, nausea, and light sensitivity. They are believed to be caused by changes in brain chemistry and blood flow and are often triggered by stress, hormonal fluctuations, and certain foods.
If you’re not sure if your headaches could be helped by more than the medication you are taking, we’d encourage you to give us a try. We may be able to help by assessing the root cause of your headache and develop a customized care plan to help you find relief. By addressing the underlying issues, we may be able to help prevent future headaches and improve overall quality of life.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Here at South Orange Rehabilitation & Wellness, we take the time to get to know each of our patients and figure out what’s causing them the most problems. From headaches and sciatica pain to full-on injuries, we’re here to care for you and get you back on your feet.
Reach out and schedule an appointment with us today. We can’t wait to meet you.